7.02.2009

piper's story

on a cloudy day in june,

we had a baby girl.

and it went a little something like this.

{sorry this is so late. piper is only 3 weeks old so i feel like the memory is still fresh! and thanks to landen for documenting our day. he's wonderful}

i went to my last dr.'s appointment on tuesday and learned that she could come any day. so i called my MIL right after a little worried, and she decided to hop on a plane for us the next day. landen had a huge perio test he had to get through the next morning {one of those ones that would have been a major pain to make-up}. we were so relieved that i still hadn't gone into labor by the time the test was over, and his mom was already on a plane toward boston. we could do no wrong right?

we went out for a yummy dinner that night, sophie got super aquainted with nana, eating off her plate and showing her all her toys and books. and magically the next morning {thursday} at about 4:50am i woke up to 5 minute apart contractions. we laughed later because we had just spent the night before talking about how everyone goes into labor in the middle of the night and no one has babies in the afternoon. that's ironic. i timed my contractions until 6am because i wanted landen to get a full nights sleep. i'm such a good wife aren't i? hehe...

off to the hospital... yes in rush hour, but luckily my contractions hadn't gotten to the "worse" part yet.

i looked like this when i got there...
Photobucket

there was lots of walking and pacing and laying and walking to try and convince the nurses i was progressing fast enough to get my dang epidural. lets just say 8 hours of contractions got a lot worse by the last couple hours.
Photobucket


my anesthesiologist was a resident {lucky me... and no offense to you dal, i know everyone has to go through the process, haha} but lets just say 3 holes in my back and 30 minutes later, i was a happy camper. and "the button" was my new best friend. yes i maxed myself out several times and never felt a thing. the nurses were all laughing at me because i was giggling and peeing all over and having a great time.
Photobucket

{side note: i LOVED my nurse and midwife that delivered me. as well as the rest of the nurses at the hospital. brigham and women's was an awesome experience for labor}

so this is when i started pushing...
Photobucket

and ten mintues later, i had a purple baby on my chest! it really is such a miracle. i didn't get sophie "plopped" on me the first time, and i loved it with piper. instant bond for me! after that first cry, we didn't hear her almost at all for a couple days. she is such a good baby. and of course landen was completely supportive through the whole process. getting me food and juice and getting in on all the action. and this time he cut the cord!
Photobucket

here's landen's proof of her birth time. the nurse argued a minute earlier, we'll call it 3:50:30.
Photobucket

i love this picture of piper finally getting to see who that "voice outside" was for 9 months!
Photobucket

and our wonderful nurse hope took about 46 blurry pictures of us. i felt like i hired a photographer, she got a little in to it. piper is so gangsta. "jigga what!?"
Photobucket

see what i mean?
Photobucket

oh i love her 10 little wrinkly toes.
Photobucket

and one of my favorite features are her wrinkly chicken legs. she still is so tiny but we are finally getting a little chub on these!
Photobucket

this was the absolute "hardest" time for me in the hospital. sophie got to come later that night with nana to meet piper for the first time. the second i saw her i burst into tears. those of you who know me... i'm not a cryer. but i haven't cried like that in quite awhile. it was like a blubbering/happy/emotional/crazy day cry. on top of that, it was technically my first night away from soph. pathetic, i know, and trust me, not by choice. ;) it was just amazing to see how grown up she had become in the past 24 hours compared to the new tiny baby in our family. she wasn't jealous or mad {like she's always been in the past with me holding other babies} she instantly wanted to hold her and touch her and point out all of her tiny features. it was a huge "happy mommy moment" for me. nobody could have ever explained that moment or feeling to me. how i could instantly love two tiny people at the same time, and how i could now love sophie even more.

i blubbered more that night when landen came back... it was a big day for me. and in the past three weeks, sophie has been simply amazing with piper. she's constantly worried about "pipah" and kisses her every time she passes her. she worries about the "bee-ee" {binky} that has fallen out of her mouth, or if she is awake or hungry. she giggles at every noise piper makes and wants to get all of her diapers for me. she wants to help with her bath and loves to lay on her tummy next to piper so she can stare at her up close. she watches her across the backseat when we're in the car to make sure she is ok and gets upset if she cries at all. granted, i haven't done this on my own yet, but i'm loving this sister thing. it's been awesome.
Photobucket

she got a "birthday hat" in the nursery.
Photobucket

Photobucket

i got a late night snack to share.
Photobucket

awesome view from our room. i felt very bostonian.
Photobucket

her first ride home in the sunshine! i love how she's like, "what is this world!?"
Photobucket


the timing of everything was amazing. we couldn't have asked for a better labor and delivery. we are so grateful to nana and now my mom who have come so far to take care of us. we got sleep the night before it all happened and now continue to get sleep with an awesome baby. nursing is going great, no jaundice, and she gained all of her birth weight back by day 6. i know this won't be easy, but so far smooth sailing right?

happy baby.

we feel blessed.

ps... cable + nursing = happiness.

18 comments:

Liz said...

wow! good job. love the story. love the pics even more. PLEASE update your blog more or piper is going to be crawling before i see you again! enjoy your last days with your mom there because then you are officially out of the hibernating zone. i'll talk to you soon. par-ee was wonderful!

libby said...

I love it! I've been waiting to hear the story!
Thoughts:
1. 10 minutes of pushing=amazing. Please bless that's me with my next one.
2. Dang nurses who wouldn't give you your epidural. What does a girl gotta do to convince those people?!?
3. She is so cute! When do we get to see you again? Before next memorial day, right??

Missletoe said...

Yeah You! Yeah Tuttts! Piper is adorable (of course!!!)!

P.S. I am a HUGE fan of the Brigham as well!

Brittany said...

What a great story. Sophie is so sweet, she is a great big sister! Michael and I are happy for your little family.

Hina Schneider said...

Wow! Only ten minutes of pushing. I wish I was that lucky with Jack. Your little girl looks so sweet and precious makes me want to have another one. Love the story of Piper.

The Bevans said...

I'm getting all teary remembering that feeling of the siblings meeting. It is amazing that your gets even fuller with another baby.

kami said...

okay i blubbered all the way through this story!!! i am so emotional :) but it was beautiful...and so neat to read! sometimes i worry about loving another baby as much as i love max (i mean, how could i possibly love anything more than i love him??) so it's so comforting to know that your love just multiplies...and to think i could ever love him more than i do now! that's incredible. i love the pictures. i am going to have to copy :)

Dave and Cindy said...

What a great story - sounds like everything was absolutely perfect!! I think you earned only ten minutes of pushing by waiting for your epidural!! She's so beautiful - can't wait for more photos (I want to see one of all four of you next)! =)

Spencer and Amy said...

She is just precious! I love the whole story! That is so awesome that you had such a great labor/delivery! Your girls are so darn cute!

Melonius said...

That first picture is the BEST. And great idea to get the clock ones. love it. I hope Soph never says {and by says I mean yells} "Stop looking at me" like mine do. But you got a few years yet before that...

John and Tamsen said...

Glad to get the whole story, I've been waiting for it, and a great story it is. So glad it all went so well for you and that Soph is adjusting so well to being a big sis.

The whole thing about 3 holes in the back to get the epidural does not convince me that I should get one with the next baby.

Kate said...

Well written, Kristen. I loved it. And I, like others, felt that familiar stinging in my eyes a couple times while reading (especially about the "happy mommy moment").

And here's my last thought: I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE TWO CHILDREN! You're such a grown up/responsible/mommy person.

nicole said...

she is so adorable!! i can't wait to meet her =D
keep tatking pictures of that beautiful baby! and take some of soph with her too! that just sounds so cute, how much she loves her little sister.
i'm so happy to hear you had such an amazing delivery =D i have heard that second baby is soooo much easier than the first.. that's true??
and what do you mean everyone goes into labor in the middle of the night??? i went into labor on the way home from my last doctor appointment! in the car! i thought they were braxton hicks, so we stopped and got port of subs and movies and went home. popped 1 movie in, and my contractions were getting stronger and harder. so we went in at 7 at night.. i delivered him at 12:10 am 2 days later.. 32 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing. UGH! lol. never did get to finish the movies.. which i think it was a bee movie lol.

congrats you guys!! you are so blessed =D tell your mom i said hi and congrats grandma! lol

Meredith said...

I'm so glad Soph will leave Boston one day with more than just memories of a rainy summer...she has a sweet Boston accent,"Pipah". Love it.
So glad it all went smoothly and life with two isn't all doom and gloom, it's peachy right?

Bryan and Ashley said...

Kri, we are so opposite because just reading your story about how much Soph loved Piper made me cry. :) I'm so happy for your beautiful family! And I'm so glad that everything went so well for you. I wish I could have been there to hold Piper like I was for Soph--I sure miss you guys! Love you!!!

C. Houghton said...

You did absolutely amazing it seems. Congrats on the new addition, you all will do great I"m sure :)

Gretchen said...

Boom baby! or was it bam.... hehe. I'm remembering how Soph was born on her due date and now Piper arrives with perfect timing for tests and life. You've got two punctual girls! The birth story was great. I might have to look into brighams. That birthday hat sure makes it look appealing.
I'm glad you guys are enjoying your girls. I love the moment when Soph showed up at the hospital and you felt your heart grow bigger. I doubt very many people have experienced that first hand.
Let me know if the crowd clears out and you need some personal time. I'd love to play baby while Soph entertains my dudes for a bit.

Bethany said...

Congratulations, you look so happy in all the shots, you make child birth look less painful then I know it probably was. The doctors can never get needles in me either. Every time I go they stick me about 8 times usually and I come out all bruised. Your girls are beautiful. You document the sweet moments of motherhood so well. We send our love.