i say that word a lot. but seriously... when was the last time i posted video on this blog? i resorted back to the good old days of the point and shoot video capabilities today because: a.) i hate our actual nice video camera with a passion, b.) my girls are cute and i'm sick of not capturing it live.
so here we go. a little jig-dancin' from pipe and singin' from sophster.
so here we go. a little jig-dancin' from pipe and singin' from sophster.
and just in case you were wondering what the "two bites" we were talking about on the video were... this is about all she eats these days.

i've been trying to go to bed a little earlier (you know i'm a serious night owl) and get up earlier. i'm just kind of sick of waiting until my kids pull me out of bed every morning completely groggy and grumpy. plus i'm always sick, so i figure one big lifestyle change might help. it's been nice getting ready before they get up, then we can actually get out the door and do things.
sneaking in a little book reading before grocery shopping this morning. i love the squatter belly.

and this girl... i'll be honest. i love her, but i don't necessarily always like her these days. sounds a little harsh- i know she's 3, but in our house, 3 has been 10 times worse than 2. i feel like i have no idea what i'm doing with her. it's a lot of sassyness, hitting/kicking/pushing piper for no reason, negotiating, and trying to do the opposite of everything i say. she's also extremely OC about a lot of things and will freak (with absolutely no reasoning possible) out of nowhere. i just feel frustrated a lot of days and a little lost about what to do. any tips, good parenting books, or words of advice are much needed at this point. i'm trying hard to reward the good behavior and spend lots of quality time with her. there's a lot more i could say about that, but i won't work myself up too much right now.

landen's full swing in his externship right now (he loves it... me? not quite as much). so on the weekends he likes to take long walks on the beach and mold jungle animals out of playdo, hide them, and take random pictures of them on my camera for me to find later.

oh and here's my dad's little card we made him from the last post. i think he liked it... there were lots of laughs involved. :) can you tell what the handprints and "0's" stand for?

12 comments:
oh kristen you're scaring me for three! so far two has been so hard for me to handle. i have a lot of days where i don't "like" max very much either...i am glad i'm not alone. i wish i had some advice for you...i just keep telling myself "this too shall pass." except then i get scared when i realize we will go through this stage many more times with subsequent children...ahhhh!
Your Sophie sounds like my Reggie, just six months older. I just try to stay calm through it all--me yelling back hasn't seemed to help anything yet. :). This morning was pretty awful, so I just put him in his room and told him to come out when he felt better. He screamed for about five minutes, and then came out and said he was done. Not all tantrums end that well, but I was glad today's did.
Hang in there, and send advice my way too!
I'm sure I'll watch this video plenty once Em see's it! she loves her
...her videos, em loves her videos. Piper and Em need to have a dance party next time we get together. Love the card, and I'm sure Rob did too!
sophie sounds JUST like katelyn right now. three is definitely not easier than two. they get so sassy around three! just know, you are definitely not the only lost one out there. and i am so glad to hear that my child is the only one beating up on their younger sibling for no reason.
Daddy loved his card, we all did! So fun to relive the moments! :) Hang in there with Soph, I know it's hard. I always reminded myself that you all were just on loan from Heavenly Father and I needed to return you all in good working order! :)Love you!
We should work something out for this fall. B and Soph do well together and if Roe gets the preschool I'll need someone to keep B entertained. Not to mention a little learning along the way.
I'm sorry that I can't imagine Soph being a punk. If I had to advise I'd say speak for her. If she's upset or angry just say it, "you're mad because Mommy won't let you do this" or whatever. Seems like the usually just want to be heard. (and then ignored while they finish their timeout ;)
So cute. I was wondering if the "two more bites" was a parenting secret I had stumbled upon. ("Always tell them, 'two more bites.'") Seems to work for me.
I miss you. I want to see you and laugh with you and look at colorful fall leaves with you.
K. I know I do not have preschoolers, but I had lots of 1st graders and one baby--it kind of averages out to preschool age ya? Anyway, I read this amazing book that I want to read again and again. "Positive Discipline for Preschoolers" (by Nelson, Erwin and Duffy)
I obviously have not needed to try it out yet, (since I read it AFTER I quit teaching, and Jackon's can't even roll over) but I was WAY impressed with the brilliant ideas they had and their whole approach to dealing with preschool aged power struggles. Check it out, and I'd love to hear what you think about it.
I don't remember any specific hard times when you guys were all young. Seems like I'd come home from work, Mom would have you all dressed up, hair done, you would have Kyle dressed up, much to his chagrin, and we'd have family dinner and then we'd have a family party every night with some crazy adventure we'd come up with. I don't remember any hard times with you youngin's. (I think there's a pearl of wisdom hidden in all this, especially the last part... hint, hint)
My memory is every year is better and more fun. 4 is better than 3, 5 is better than 4, etc. Each year I thought "how could this get any better" and then next year would roll around and I'd ask myself the same question.
Hang in there, those are precious little ones that just need a little patience and love.
Love you,
Dad
Ahh the 3's! The 3's were always harder in our house than the 2's too. They are at the point that they want to make their own decisions and be a big person. I don't think there is any "miracle" that can be done, but there are things that can make it better. With Dominick, we just had to give him several choices. Like when we were going shopping and he didn't want to go. I would tell him we are going shopping so while we are you can 1. take a toy to play with, 2. take a book, or 3. help me pick which stores to go to. He always did better when he had a little more control over the situation.
Payton was different, she just had to do the opposite of everything we wanted her to do. We tried hiving her choices and it didn't help. With her the consequences were what mattered. We would tell her that if she threw a tantrum she would get her fav tow taken away or the pretty dress she wanted to wear would get taken away. Once she realized I would really do it she started making better choices!
Hope this helps some! Every kid is different and yes it will pass, but sometimes it doesn't seem like it will come soon enough!
Love the card you made for your dad! SOOOOO Cute!
3 is WAY worse than 2. Hang on, 3.5 is better. But if you want to send her packing. Abz would love a lil sis.
Post a Comment