3.08.2011

old.

for the first time in my entire life

i feel old.

i don't know why 26 was the magic number for me (and i know that technically i'm not "old" if i'm still willingly admitting my age) but i definitely felt different this time around.

maybe because when you're young and thinking about the future, you kind of just stop at 25. i mean who really thinks about anything past the first quarter century of their life growing up?

maybe because i'm the oldest of my siblings and i'm now the only one officially closer to 30, while everyone else is closer to 20.

maybe because birthdays are finally losing their "thrill factor." i'd honestly rather watch my kids open my presents and blow out my candles to see the thrill on their faces than do it myself. i now understand why my dad gets a bigger kick out of people forgetting his birthday than remembering it... ok maybe not completely.

don't get me wrong. i totally love birthdays. it just felt different this year. i just feel old for once.

nonetheless...

i had a fabulous day. thank you family and friends. you know who you are. Ü

landen was home this morning and i got to sleep in. bliss. i awoke to blueberry pancakes with fresh blueberries. yum. opened presents. thank you landen! cheesecake factory with {surprise} girlfriends. thanks ladies!

Photobucket

when abby is around, i don't see much of soph. that is one little friendship that is going to be hard to break up!

Photobucket

look at the cute cover jessamy made me for my new kindle! so cute.

Photobucket

can't wait to get reading. Ü

Photobucket

and of course landen cooked up a yummy salmon dinner followed by blondies with vanilla bean ice cream. oh my.

Photobucket

pleeeease try this recipe. and switch the chocolate chips and nuts for white chocolate chips. divine.

thank you lovely people. i might feel old, but mostly i just feel loved.

10 comments:

Kate said...

Hahaha; I don't know if you've gotten my e-mail yet, but I totally mentioned zebra print. I love that your Kindle is swathed in it.

Happy birthday again. I'm glad you enjoyed it! (And I know what you mean about 26 feeling much older than 25. At least you're on your way to a real job and perhaps (gasp) a home of your own! That should make adulthood much more palatable.)

Janssen said...

Happy birthday! I'll be 26 this fall - it does sound old, doesn't it? Yikes. . .

Wish I'd been there to celebrate with you!

Amber Bernard said...

Glad you had a great birthday! 26 was hard for me too. I still don't want to acknowledge that I am that close to 30!

nicole said...

if it makes you feel any better, i stopped acknowledging and admitting my age years ago. and i'll only be 27 this year. =/ lol
is it sad when your years start to run together? tyler makes fun of me because i usually have to ask him "how old am i? am i 25 or 26?" lol.
ah, just trying to hold on to those younger years ;) bahahaha.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday! I know how you feel about never seeing life beyond 25. It took me a couple of years, but now that I'm 28 I really look forward to 30! 13 going on 30 will be my theme movie in 2 years:)

Hina Schneider said...

Happy Birthday! Glad to see that you had a great birthday!

Jill said...

What sweet friends you have to celebrate your day with you!!! Love you Kindle cover!

And just you wait to feel old....50 was a tough one! :( Remember the saying on the fridge...

Young.....Old....Just Words!

Love you!
Mom

kami said...

happy late birthday!! it sounds like it was fabulous. LOVE the kindle case...i bet that is so fun!

Bart said...

You're one year earlier than I was. I finally felt old at 27. That was almost 4 years ago. But now I feel young again, so I think you'll be okay.

Say hi to your smiley husband for me.

karla said...

Happy belated birthday! And funny story - I just had a blondie the other day and was thinking about making one at home. I also thought, "this would be better if it didn't have nuts and the chocolate chips were white chocolate instead." Haha - thanks for reading my mind and sending the recipe!