1.28.2009

close up shoppe

i am so sad to have to "announce" this but...

:: 30% OFF MY ENTIRE SHOPPE ::


Due to the new CPSIA law going into effect Feb. 10th I will be forced to close May Day Studios until further notice. I'm so sad this has to happen, but you can bet it won't stop me from continuing to make beautiful clips! Of course I'll still take orders for anyone that is interested, it just won't be as easy as it is on Etsy! Everything in my shoppe is 30% off until Feb. 9th. You might want to check it out, as many of the items may never be available like this again.
Thank you to all who have made May Day Studio Designs a success!

read more here: http://www.etsy.com/storque/media/bunker/2009/01/CPSIA-Etsy-Resources.pdf

in short:

“As of Feb. 10, it will become unlawful to make or sell anything intended
for use by children under 12 without a program to test the goods for lead
— even if no items of their kind have ever been found to pose a lead risk,
even if you make and sell only a few inexpensive items a year, even if
you've sourced their materials from the most conscientious local suppliers
and even if they're items toddlers seldom convey into their mouths, such
as dartboards or bicycle tires."


Also just for fun: Leave a comment on this post telling me one of your favorite "indoor" activities with your kid/s (see post below) and you'll win a free set of clips, your choice! If you don't have kids, you can make up something, or not, I still love ya.


Photobucket

22 comments:

Tamsen said...

Totally sucks! You inspired me to open my own shop. I got busy about a week ago sewing some great dresses and was looking forward to starting an Etsy shop next week. Plans foiled! Like you, I'll still find a way to sell, it just won't be as easy.
As for a favorite indoor activity, sleeping would be #1 but since that rarely happens, I'll have to say movie time with popcorn and snuggles.

Jaclyn said...

Bree and I love to snuggle in the rocking chair and READ! I love it. I'm so sad about your shoppe closing... every week I salivate over your clips and dream of extra spending money... :) We LOVE the ones we do have from you. Even though your shoppe is closing, we'll always be customers!

Laura said...

Being indoors is so hard! We try to think of new things to do, like play in the closet with a flashlight or underneath the table. Hide and Seek and Tag also NEVER get old for the kiddos. I also try and do lots of cleaning out and organizing, and Kylie likes to play with whatever I happen to be trying to go through. Good luck and I'm so sad about the new law! Etsy will be so missed.

Brooke said...

i can't believe they're doing that! so many people make amazing things to sell on etsy. how sad those things won't be available anymore.
i too HATE these longs, longs winters. but...katelyn and i love sit and color or dig through her toy box until we find an old toy we haven't seen for a while.

Lauren vdH said...

I love tickling Claire... I am not sure how ticklish she really is.. but she squirms a little. When I was younger, my brothers I would have pillow wars...fun too... but kinda hard to do with a toddler.

I hope that you two find some distractions from the cold outdoors...like the strawberries :)

Kelly said...

I think my favorite indoor activity is dressing Sadie up and having a photo shoot. Im sure you guys do this one all the time! I love your clips. That new law is WACK!

mom2cherreys said...

I will still be a loyal customer! As for indoor activities Payton and I love to make a fort with her blankets and then we go ghost hunting in a dark house. Because of the snowy days it is usually overcast and we just turn out the lights and flip on our flashlights. We also "smuggle" on the couch and read and watch our fave cartoons. Another fave is to create new things to eat. We have had some yummy snacks from our rumage in the cupboards and it helps me figure out what I have on hand.....

Amber Bernard said...

Maddie and I love to cook together. She loves adding ingredients and stirring. We look at cook books together and find pictures of something yummy to make! Other than that...i just love the time that i have her to myself. Between work and her time with her dad i don't feel like i get enough special time with my girl!

Krissi said...

What a bummer! We'll have to pull some "under the table" deals :)

Kara & Levi said...

I just might place an order with you because of this little girl that's coming! How can I order from you?? I really want to! I don't know even care what they look like because anything will be cute. I just want unique stuff because around here, everyone just has the regular band with a flower.

kami said...

i love to read to max. it is his favorite things. i'd really love to win some clips, you know, cuz max loves bows and all that. :) jk. give them to someone with a girl!

Gretchen said...

This one is my favorite because it buys me the most time: shaving cream on the table. The boys will drive cars in it and make tracks or just draw lines and letters and such. B will do it for almost an hour on the right day and R can commit for a solid 15 minutes. It is cheap and easy to clean up and in the end they smell like daddy. Can't go wrong.
Oh and since this didn't submit when I clicked I'll just add another... box tunnels. Cardboard boxes cut and taped into a tunnel that weaves around the room. Another grand way to earn 30 minutes of personal time.

Megan said...

Isn't this just so crappy? I don't sell a ton of my little people, but I sell enough for some extra spending money! I'm going to be broke again! :(
Anyway, my favorite indoor activities with Kate are: coloring (crayons/watercolors), teaching her new motions to songs (we are working on head shoulders knees and toes right now), playing dress up (she loves to put on as many necklaces and headbands as she can), reading books inside homemade blanket tents, playing tickle tag, and my most favorite is spending a good part of the morning snuggling in my bed with a sippy cup of milk and watching playhouse disney!

Melonius said...

I hate the government right now...
We made shrinky dinks yesterday with #6 plastic.
We also like to bowl inside. I bought a bowling set, but shampoo bottles work too.
And we also play hopscotch inside, just use masking tape.
Playdoh is always good.
You could also try putting some snow in your bathtub {if you have any snow lying around... :-)} then you can play with it and not be so freeeeeezing. Beach toys work really well with snow, btw.
And my kids fight over playing on nickjr.com. It's got enough games and stuff on there to last until they are grown ups.

Kate said...

I'm so sorry you have to close! I was looking forward to buying cute clips for my girls (you know, when I actually have them).

My favorite activity with my "kid" (read: Dave) is reading with him. We've recently started the Chronicles of Narnia together, which is giving me good practice with the vocal variation and voices necessary for entertaining real children. :)

Bryan and Ashley said...

Kri I am so sorry that you have to close your shop. That's so sad. Bry read this and immediately starts thinking of ways to get around it. I'm glad to hear you are still making them because I'm banking on you when I actually get a girl. They are so adorable!

Colette said...

I'm so sad about that stinkin' law. I had the 'save homemade' button up for awhile when I found out about it a month ago, but it seemed hopeless. Anywho...if I ever have a girl, I'm for sure hiring you to make her some cute clips. As for indoor activities...Micah loves to be pushed and pulled around in a laundry basket, and when that get too tiring for the person pushing and pulling- we get out lots of containers from kitchen cupboards (mixing bowls, pots, tupperware, etc) turn up a tune with a good beat and pound away at our homemade drums with a wooden spoon. (although Micah prefers a metal spoon because it makes more noise!) And, as much as I love your clips Derek wouldn't appreciate one in Micah's hair...so you can skip us! :)

Dave and Cindy said...

With only a little boy, you can skip us for the clip give away, too, but here are some ideas anyway.
*A roll of butcher paper has endless possibilities! Lay down on it and trace yourself, then color a lifesize paper doll of you - this really helps the kids w analyzing their own features and is especially fun w girls cause you can color fingernails and toenails and lips and hair bows, etc. Or you can put it on the wall and make your own wallpaper. Or make a HUGE "Welcome Home Dad" or "Happy Thursday" sign.
*Use newspaper (or butcher paper or wrapping paper or foil, if their heads are small enough) to make hats.
*Decorate cookies or pizzas or crackers. You could use applesause, melted cheese, or sour cream for your "frosting." Fruits and veggies make colorful and healthy faces and designs.
*Soph probably wouldn't appreciate this one, but it's fun to get out a big map (or GoogleEarth) and explore places you've never been. Or plan a road trip through the funniest named places you can find.

Hope this helps!

Dave and Cindy said...

Oh yeah... Aydn really loves the "fitness orb." It's so big and bouncy, he crawls after it and pushes it w his head, blows raspberries on it, something new every day. And why did I not mention making musical instruments? There are a ton of websites w cute make-at-home instrument ideas!

lmk1411 said...

Kylie's favorite game that she'd play all day long is the sock game. You hang a bunch of socks on the ceiling fan and then turn it on low and try to catch the socks that fly all over the room. Honestly she'll play it all day.

Hina Schneider said...

That's just terrible about your shoppe. Our favorite indoor activity is listening to music and dancing to it. Jack loves to rock with the music.

nicole said...

hey, i don't know if you heard, but they have extended the deadline for the cpsia law to feb 10, 2010
yay!
and they are even talkin about amending it
double yay if the amendment is for homemade items!